Thursday, June 30, 2011

LVJR - (Fake) Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Make sure that checklist is handy.

Now, lick the tip of that No. 2 pencil and get ready to check this off.

Yes, I have scratched off a major want of mine in the form of the complete Signature Series 2 set of BCA figures.

How does this concern you?

Well...*thinking*

*Still thinking*

*Lost train of thought...and is craving french toast*

Oh, right, by all means check off "number 16 installment" from your checklist devoted to VJB's "Latest Vintage Jakks Receivings" series of posts.

Don't lie, I know you secretly have one.


The complete set of Signature Series 2 figures were won in an eBay auction two weeks ago and only set me back $23.39 shipped, or $3.90 per MOC figure.

Needless to say, it has become increasingly difficult to find a good deal for a complete set of MOC BCA figures, but I was fortunate to come across this lot when I did.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I prefer the figures in my collection to be mint loose, so that's why I buy everything new.



I already owned Shawn Michaels from a previous purchase, and once had Kane in my possession before reselling him (foolishly, I'll admit, as now I only resell doubles of figures in my collection), but I was still eager to track down the rest of Signature Series 2.

I don't even think I had most of these in my original collection, and I always wanted Billy Gunn especially for his metallic blue ring attire.

I got it, but I also got something of a variant Billy Gunn figure with his clashing purple knee pads instead of the regular metallic blue-colored pads.


I covered this a little over two years ago (wow, doesn't seem it's been that long), and it took me long enough to finally acquire one of the two versions.

Along with "The Billy Gunn Show" that is Signature Series 2, Jakks Pacific also gave us his tag team partner, the Cheshire Ca...I mean, Road Dogg Jesse James, in a somewhat-stripped down re-release of his 2 Tuff Series 2 figure (as pictured on the back carding).


The logos on his pants are much smaller (not stretching the full length of his pant legs), and his boots are lacking the silver detail of the original.



With the exception of the glaringly-obvious facsimile signature additions to each figure's right leg, we have re-releases of Slammers Series 2 Dude Love and Kane in this assortment.

B.A. Billy Gunn, Shawn Michaels, and The Undertaker are the only legitimate repaints to the line, but there's nothing here that will "wow" you quite like Austin and Goldust from Series 1.

Gunn and HBK are lacking detail on the back of their trunks/tights; however, I recall Billy Gunn wearing plain trunks early on with the New Age Outlaws, so it's passable, and Shawn's zebra stripe chaps are commendable, in my opinion.

There's nothing inherently wrong with 'Taker either (disregarding scale and a lack of tattoos), and I've always really liked the dark purple concoction that is his Signature Series 2 attire. Note the bronze-colored buckles on his boots, too.


My take: I'll have more on this series in a bit when I give each figure a formal assessment as part of the next Mini Review (yeah, I know, 2 Tuff Series 3 is coming soon).

Billy Gunn is my personal favorite, though Dude Love is probably the best figure in the series. The worst? I would think Road Dogg.

Half re-releases and half repaints, the make-up of Signature Series 2 is largely filler for the BCA line.

Do with it what you will.

Fun fact: It's no variant, but Road Dogg has his own recurring error figure as all of the 2 Tuff Series 2 re-releases feature "PD" on the side of his pants where it should read "RD." Look to this week's "Error to the Throne" on the right side of the page for a picture.

Until next time, thanks for looking and have a nice day!

- Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment