Sunday, February 27, 2011

LVJR - Award-winning Austins

I know it's hard to believe, but I almost didn't know what to write about for this week's post.

Low and behold, the god of mail carriers has delivered unto me something with which I can share all of my deepest, darket secrets.



And by deepest, darket secrets I mean two MOC Stone Cold Steve Austin figures for this the thirteenth installment of my "Latest Vintage Jakks Receivings" series of posts!

Hah, I got you, didn't I?!?

No? Oh, well then, let's move on, shall we?


I acquired these two collectibles yesterday from an eBay user who was just breaking through to the other side to, umm, becoming a seller!

Best of luck to that person, and best of luck to me in becoming a winner of Jakks Pacific's long ago WrestleMania XV (can you believe we're already up to WrestleMania XXVII?) contest where 1 in 40 lucky persons could claim an exclusive Stone Cold Steve Austin figure (limited to 20,000) as their winning prize.

I never won as a kid leading up to the WrestleMania XV event back in 1999, but maybe I'll fare better this time around!

So...the verdict is...



I'M A WINNER!!!!!

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

I would like to thank the Academy first and foremost and uh..wait, you mean I don't get to keep this thing???

BUT IT HAS MY NAME ON IT!!!!

Seriously, though, I think I just missed the cutoff date.

You know, back when everyone was freaking out about the new millenium and all.

Good times...

For those wondering, here is what I missed out on.

Not much you might say, but mailaway Jakks figures were few and far between (as they have always been, except for the Attitude Points) in those days.


The only way of finding out if you were a winner is by purchasing a Superstars Series 7 or Fully Loaded Series 1 figure and opening that bad boy up to reveal the answer inside.

Snazzy job, Jakks, although I wonder why there was never a similar mailaway promotion done in time for SummerSlam later that year. I know, the KB Rock giveaway, but I'm thinking strictly mailaway here.


On the other end of the color spectrum, the Steve Austin with white "Austin 3:16" t-shirt that I received comes from the Kmart exclusive Sunday Night Heat series that is not often talked about.

The set also includes: Sable with zebra stripe bottoms, The Rock with updated logos on his trunks, Billy Gunn with teal trunks and detailed white boots, Road Dogg with white "You Didn't Know?" t-shirt and Shotgun Saturday Night Series 2 pants, and yet another re-released Undertaker figure.

A few interesting repaints thrown in the mix for an otherwise unnecessary store exclusive series, but I'm a supporter of any and all unusual aspects of the BCA line, so it's fine by me.


My take: Superstars Series 7 Austin introduced a new sculpt as the line got progressively bigger (in size), and it's a fairly good likeness to the real life wrestler. Is it a necessity for your collection? Probably not, but it could be worse.

Sunday Night Heat Series Austin reuses existing parts and isn't anything more than filler, but it might be what you're looking for if you're into inaccurate Austin t-shirts and really dark goatees.

Fun fact: If you were to try and find all 20,000 winning inserts for the mailaway exclusive Stone Cold figure, with 1 in 40 odds of winning, you might have to buy up to 800,000 BCA figures in the process!

Even I couldn't stomach that many little plastic men.

Until next time, thanks for looking and have a nice day!

- Alex

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well well, I'm actually one of the very few people who acquired one of those limited edition Wrestlemania XV Stone Cold Figures...I was thinking about selling it on ebay...but i don't know how valuable it is considering its still in the package mint condition

Unknown said...

I have one of those 20, 000 limited edition Stone Cold action figures, still in the package in mint condition. You want it? I'll be selling it on ebay shortly.

Post a Comment