Monday, May 11, 2009

$15...heh

I remember back nearly ten years ago when I walked into Planet Wrestling, one of my favorite hobby shops to frequent as a kid, but I'll never forget the ridiculous prices for new, in-stock wrestling figures. I believe a manager, or possibly even the store owner, once explained to me how they were able to obtain brand new sets months before Toys-R-Us or any other major retailer.

I was familiar with online stores at the time, but I never purchased anything for myself until at least two to three years later. So, essentially, Planet Wrestling was my only option for buying newer figures until they could be found at retail much later, and for much cheaper.

This one day in particular stands out for me as I had money (well, my parent's money) burning a hole in my pocket and me and a friend were there to see what was available. All of the newest figures were always displayed on a wall behind the cash register (side note: damn me for not ever purchasing that signed OSFTM ECW Axl Rotten figure when I had the chance, multiple times, but always passed on it), and I saw before me the newest BCA singles series - Breakdown In Your House.

I only remember there being two choices that day - Droz or D'Lo.
















Why my only two choices were between those two, I'll never know, but I digress.

Anyway, I knew I didn't have enough money for both (again, crazy, insane prices), so I'm about 47% sure I bought Droz that day. The reason why I say that is because I distinctly remember the kitchen sink accessory that was included with "Puke" himself. Needless to say, my friend bought nothing that day, and he may have been the smarter one because of it.

I spent $15 on the following Droz figure back in the day (not my picture, but credit to eBay seller johnlorei), and prices for wrestling figures may be inflated now, but there is no way I can justify the purchase other than for being an impatient kid, and an impatient kid with money to spend that didn't mean much to him.

I always try to look for good deals now, so I don't think I'll ever fall into that trap again.

But, Droz did come with the kitchen sink, after all.

Until next time, thanks for looking and have a nice day!

- Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment